Thursday, January 8, 2015

Baked Macaroni and Cheese


Macaroni and cheese is my love language (remember, I'm a carboholic). I used to love going to KFC in highschool, I would never order their chicken, just their macaroni and cheese, biscuits and potato wedges. Not the most well balanced meal, but ya know, I was young and had the metabolism I can only dream of now. Since then I have made almost every single macaroni and cheese recipe that I have come across, and this is definitely my favorite.


12 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
2 ½ cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (white or orange)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup cream
2 cups half and half
1/4 cup butter
2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp fresh cracked black pepper
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 tsp paprika

Cook noodles according to package directions (note the recipe calls for 12 oz, not the full 16 oz box) then drain. In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour to make a roux. Add cream and half &half to roux slowly, stirring constantly until thickened. About 5 minutes. Stir in 2 cups shredded cheddar and parmesan cheese, and cook over low heat until cheese is melted and the sauce is slightly thickened. Put macaroni in a casserole dish, and cover with sauce. Stir well, then sprinkle remaining 1/2 c shredded cheddar on top. Melt butter or margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and sauté until just starting to lightly brown then sprinkle on top, along with the paprika. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned and bubbly.

*source: adapted from allrecipes.com

No comments: