Friday, October 31, 2014

Glazed Cinnamon Scones


Scones always seemed so intimidating and fancy (I'm so faaaancy, can't you taste this go-oooold. I just want to see how many pop culture phrases I can throw into food posts). Since I had no plans of inviting the Queen of England over for tea and scones, I never bothered making them. But pinterest has a way of luring you in and I'm so glad she did. Scones are waaaay less intimidating than I thought. They are quick and easy, absolutely delicious and I can feel fancy making them, even if I'm wearing yoga pants and yesterday's t-shirt while I do it.  My kids new favorite after school snack on a cold day are these warm scones with a mug of hot chocolate. Mmmm-mmm good.


2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 egg, separated
3 Tablespoons honey
1/3 cup buttermilk (or 1/3 cup milk mixed with 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice)
4 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Glaze Ingredients:
1 cup powdered sugar
1-3 teaspoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly (I use a cheese grater and grate the butter in). Separate the egg white and yolk. Set the egg white aside. In a separate bowl, mix egg yolk, honey and buttermilk. Add to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Form dough into a ball on a floured surface. Roll or pat out to about 3/4 inch in thickness and eight inches in diameter. Transfer to a baking sheet covered in parchment paper. Whisk the egg white until froth forms and brush over the tops of scones (you won’t use the entire egg). Mix sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle over egg-white-topped scones. Cut into eight equally-sized pieces. Mix together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla until glaze forms. Bake for 15 minutes, pull out and drizzle glaze over the top. Return to oven and bake for an additional 3 min, until lightly browned and cooked through.




*Source: Money Saving Mom

No comments: