Saturday, December 20, 2014

Chicken Tetrazzini

My sister knows me so well. One year she got me The Pioneer Woman's cookbook for my birthday and I was thrilled. It's a well known fact that that woman has the Midas touch when it comes to food. I sat there drooling over every recipe with its glossy pictures and couldn't wait to make every single one of them. This is the first one that I made, and although it's a tough competition, I think this might just be our (I'm speaking collectively for my family) favorite recipe in the entire book. It just sorta speaks to my soul. I can never resist eating forkfuls of the noodles before I put them in the baking dish, they really are irresistable. (I made a few alterations to substitute out the cream of mushroom soup and I added the bread crumb topping and paprika, because it just needs that final touch, but if you want her original recipe the link is below).


2 chicken breasts
1 lb thin spaghetti, broken into 2-in pieces
1 4oz jar diced pimentos, drained
4 Tbs butter
4 Tbs flour
2 C milk
2 tsp chicken bouillon
3 C grated cheddar cheese
2 C chicken broth
1 tsp seasoned salt
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
½ C bread crumbs
2 ½ Tbs olive oil
1 tsp paprika

Preheat oven to 350. Cook chicken (either on the stovetop with a little olive oil or in the crockpot with a little broth), then shred. Boil spaghetti until al dente, drain, then put into a large bowl and toss with shredded chicken, pimentos and 2 cups shredded cheese. Melt butter in saucepan, whisk in flour, milk and bouillon and continue to stir over medium heat until thickened. Add broth, seasoned salt and cayenne pepper to the milk mixture then pour over the spaghetti and chicken mixture, mix well then pour into a large baking dish and top with 1 cup shredded cheese. In a small dish toss bread crumbs in olive oil until evenly coated then sprinkle on top, along with paprika. Bake uncovered for 35-40 min. until bubbly and lightly brown.



*Source: The Pioneer Woman

 

No comments: