Friday, December 19, 2014

Giada's Fried Ravioli

I love appetizer foods. I've been known to order nothing but appetizers when we've gone out to eat. I mean, mozzarella sticks and stuffed potato skins are totally considered a well balanced meal. One of the things I love most about the holidays is all the parties with all their fabulous party foods where I can nibble and sample to my little heart's content. They don't really do holiday parties here (or maybe we're just not cool enough to get invited to them?), but I was craving all my favorite appetizers so instead we threw our own little party on the last day of school to celebrate summer/Christmas (homemade hot chocolate just isn't the same in summer, in case you were wondering). This right here is one of my all time favorite appetizers both to eat and to bring. Giada De Laurentiis was demonstrating it on a talk show during the holidays years ago and I knew right then and there that this dish would be accompanying me to our next party. I mean, cheese ravioli covered in breadcrumbs, deep fried then dipped in a savory marinara? Poke me with a fork, I'm done. It was a huge hit and the rest of this love story is history...



Olive oil, for frying
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup Italian-style bread crumbs
1 package refrigerated cheese ravioli (about 24 ravioli)
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup marinara sauce, heated, for dipping

Put the buttermilk and the breadcrumbs in separate shallow bowls. Working in batches, dip the ravioli in the buttermilk to coat completely, allowing the excess buttermilk to drip back into the bowl. Dredge the ravioli in the bread crumbs. Place the ravioli on a baking sheet, while you coat the remaining ravioli. Heat 2 inches of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, fry the ravioli in batches, turning occasionally, until golden brown and puffed up, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fried ravioli to paper towels to drain. Sprinkle the fried ravioli with Parmesan cheese and serve with a bowl of warmed marinara sauce for dipping

*Source: Food Network

 

No comments: