Thursday, February 26, 2015

Berry Detox Smoothie

I'm a creature of habit. I eat the same thing every day for breakfast, lunch and my afternoon snack. Yes, I feel like a kid having a scheduled afternoon snack. But honestly, between 2-3:00 I become ravenous. I get the munchies in a real bad way and if I'm not conscious about having a healthy snack prepared then I will dig through the pantry and come up with all the junk food that I can find. So for like the past year this has been my go-to snack.  It is sweet enough to satisfy my sugar craving, but with all natural ingredients I can eat it without feeling guilty. I've found that if I sprinkle about 1/4 cup muesli (or granola) on top then it gives it a little more substance so that I feel full after eating it. I know there are about a million and one smoothie recipes out there, but this is my absolute favorite, so I thought it was worth sharing!


1 large banana (best if cut into chunks and frozen)
1/2 cup baby spinach leaves
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup almond milk (or more, depending on how thick you like it)
1 Tbs ground flaxseed, ground linseed, protein powder or wheat germ- just something to give it a little extra nutrition
1/4 cup muesli or granola
fresh berries to top (optional)

Add the banana, spinach, blueberries, almond milk and flaxseed to a blender and pulse until smooth. Pour into a glass and top with muesli/granola and fresh berries.

*makes one smoothie

No comments: