Thursday, November 27, 2014

Panda Express Mushroom Chicken

Here's another little gem from the archives that was needing a little face lift. My friend, Chelsea, originally submitted it years ago when I first started this blog as a recipe exchange site. Six years later and it is still one of the most popular recipes, both on this site and with my family as well. I love making recipes that have been passed down from friends because not only is it guaranteed to be delicious, but it's nice to have a chance to think about that friend while you're making it. Here's to great friendships and great recipes!


2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 garlic cloves (minced)
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 small package fresh button mushrooms
2 small zucchini

Cut chicken and zucchini into 1” chunks (I slice my zucchini instead because my kids eat them better that way). Toss chicken in a bowl with cornstarch until evenly coated. Add vegetable oil and sesame oil to a wok or large skillet and fry chicken pieces until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels. Add zucchini and mushrooms (once again the recipe says to add the mushrooms whole, but I slice them for my kids) to the wok and stir fry for a few minutes (adding a little more vegetable oil if neccessary). Add soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, minced fresh garlic, and ground ginger to the wok stirring to coat and stir fry until mushrooms and zucchini are fully cooked. Return chicken pieces to the wok and coat with sauce, heat thoroughly and serve over hot rice.

*Source: Blog Chef