Thursday, November 20, 2014

The Secret to Homemade Hashbrowns

I never gave much thought to hashbrowns. I mean, I've given a lot of thought on how I wanted to eat them, but just not a lot of thought about how I wanted to make them. I just figured the only way to do it was to drive yourself down the grocery store and rummage through the frozen food section. They don't sell hashbrowns here and it was a light bulb moment when we were craving them and I realized I could actually make them from scratch. I mean, they are just potatoes after all. Now that we've made them this way I can promise you that we are never going back to that frozen food section again. Well, except for ice cream. But just not hashbrowns.



6-7 russet potatoes
½ C butter
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

And here's a few tips I've learned after making them several times so that they don't turn into a pile of goop:

1) Peel and boil potatoes 25 min, or until tender. If they're not soft all the way through then they turn out slimy. Just don't get distracted by "The Fault in our Stars" and overcook them to the point that they're falling apart in the pan or they will be more like mush. Just as an example, not saying that's ever happened.
2) Refrigerate overnight. Which requires you thinking about breakfast the night before, but this is definitely a critical step and it makes breakfast prep quick in the morning as well.
3) Shred potatoes, melt butter in skillet over med-high heat then add potatoes, season with 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper then cook until lightly browned and crispy then flip (about 10 minutes or so), season with remaining salt and pepper and cook until the other side is lightly browned and crispy. Make sure you only flip it over a few times, these are not scrambled eggs, and if you over stir them they will become mushy. Just a few simple tricks that will take your breakfast scene by storm!

*Source: Allrecipes.com

 

No comments: