Sunday, September 28, 2014

Slow cooker salsa

It's no secret, Mexican food is my vice. I've been having some serious withdrawals. They have a very slim selection of salsa here and not only is it expensive, but with a brand name like "Pam's" you know you're just asking for disappointment. I've been on the hunt for a salsa recipe but since they don't carry jalapenos or tomatillos and the red chili peppers cost $49/kg, I figured it was a hopeless cause. Then I came across this gem and my life has never been the same.


 8 tomatoes
1/2 onion, chopped
½ green bell pepper, chopped
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies (which they don't have here, but it was fine without)
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 Tbs lime juice
1 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
¼ C chopped oregano
½ C chopped cilantro
1/8-1/4 tsp ground chili (different then chili powder, this is the straight up hard kind that sends smoke coming out of your ears like the cartoons if you use too much. If you prefer to use chili powder, just add about 1 tsp)
salt to taste
Submerge tomatoes in boiling water for a few minutes until the skin starts to peel off, then remove skins and coarsely chop. Add all ingredients to the crock pot and cook on low for about 3-4 hours. Store in refrigerator until using. *you could stick it in a blender if you prefer it less chunky. I don't have a blender so I tried sticking my beaters in the crock pot and to this day I'm still cleaning salsa off the walls.

*source: allrecipes.com

No comments: