Thursday, February 5, 2015

Oatmeal Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies

I have my faithful go-to Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe that has never given me reason to stray away, but in an effort to try and eat a little healthier I thought I would give these a try. I know, I know, "healthy" and "cookie" don't really belong in the same sentence, but if I'm going to make cookies (which you know I will) I might as well add a little more nutrition to them. The oatmeal combined with the coconut adds such a delicious flavor and texture. These were a huge hit and made me glad that I decided to venture outside my familiar little chocolate chip cookie box. Before my kids were even done eating one they were already requesting that I make them again!


1 large egg
1/2 cup butter, room temp
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup old-fashioned whole rolled oats (not instant or quick cook)
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a large bowl, combine the egg, butter, white sugar, brown sugar and vanilla. Beat on medium-high speed until creamed and well combined, about 4 minutes. Add the oats, flour, coconut, baking soda and salt, and beat on low speed until just combined, about 1 minute. Add the chocolate chips, and stir until just combined. Using a 1/4-cup measure, form 12 equal-sized mounds of dough, roll into balls and flatten slightly. Arrange on cookie sheet 2 inches apart then cover with plasticwrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (if unchilled, cookies will bake thinner and flatter). Preheat oven to 350 and bake for about 11-13 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes then transfer to a cookie rack.

Source | Averie Cooks

 

No comments: