Thursday, January 29, 2015

Garlic Parmesan Twisted Breadsticks

I have the worst track record when it comes to rolls and things of that nature. No matter how perfectly I follow the recipe, they always seems to turn out flat and dense. So if I find a recipe that is fail proof even for me, then I hold onto it like it's gold. So far I have found the perfect dinner roll recipe that makes feel all sorts of domesticated, and now I can finally add a breadstick recipe. I know a breadstick seems pretty basic, but I'm telling you, when it says "stick" I'm pretty sure it's not meant to be as hard as a stick, which has happened plenty of times in the past. When I first made this recipe I was a little skeptical because it has such a short rise time, but they fluffed up just the right amount and the twist helps give it that little extra oomph. And the melted garlic butter with parmesan infuses the perfect amount of flavor. And the fact that it has such a short rise time is perfect because I'm not always thinking about dinner around 3:00 when I would normally have to start the bread to give it enough time rise.This is definitely going down in the official book as a keeper!


For the dough:
1½ cups warm water
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. yeast
4 - 4 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt

Butter Spread:
6 Tbs butter, divided
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided

In a small bowl mix warm water, yeast and sugar. Set aside and let proof for 5-10 min or until foamy. In a large bowl sift flour and salt then stir in yeast mixture when ready. Mix until smooth, adding more flour if too sticky, then cover and let raise for 10 minutes. Roll out dough into a large square on a floured surface. Soften 4 Tbs of butter then mix in garlic salt and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Brush on dough then fold in half and cut into 1 inch strips. Twist the two halves together on each breadstick and place on a cooking sheet. Let sit for 15 to 20 minutes to raise. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until lightly brown. Immediately after baking, brush with remaining 2 Tb butter and sprinkle with a little more garlic salt and remaining 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese.

Source | Fav Family Recipes

No comments: