Monday, January 19, 2015

Caprese Pasta

I know, I know, half the states are covered in snow and light summery dishes aren't exactly trending right now. But bear with me because on this side of the hemisphere it is summer and I am dreaming of bare feet on the beach, garden fresh tomatoes, and this pasta dish right here. So pin it for later, because trust me, you're going to want to make this when it's your summer. It's a combination of a recipe I've had in my file for years and this one that I recently came across. It's light, flavorful, seasonal and just straight up delicious!



12 oz angel hair pasta (or bowtie)
1/4 C olive oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 pints cherry or grape tomatoes
1 cup basil, chopped
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
8 oz fresh mozzarella, cubed or balled

Boil pasta in salted water according to package directions until al dente. Drain pasta, but reserve 1/2 cup of cooking water. In a large skillet cook garlic and olive oil over medium heat until garlic becomes soft, about two minutes. Turn the heat to medium-high and add tomatoes then sprinkle with salt. Cook for two minutes then add 1/2 cup of reserved cooking liquid and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add pasta and basil then drizzle with balsamic vinegar and cook an additional minute or so until heated through. Remove from heat and pour into separate serving dish. Toss with parmesan cheese and mozzarella, season with additional salt, pepper or balsamic vinegar if needed.

*fresh mozzarella costs an arm and an leg here, so I substitute it with feta and it tastes delicious too.

*Source: Oh, Sweet Basil

 

No comments: