Wednesday, November 12, 2014

{cooking light} Asian Chicken Pasta

This recipe was passed down to me years ago from my friend, Michelle, and it is one of my favorites. I love Chinese food, okay I have to clarify, I love Chinese noodles and fried rice. My husband is Chinese so when we go out to eat with his dad it is the real deal. I usually pass on the chicken feet and octopus and head straight for the noodles and fried rice. I could eat it all day, if it weren't for the heavy grease. That is why I love this dish so much (along with this Chicken Chow Mein) it is light but doesn't sacrifice any flavor, and as a bonus it is quick and easy to make as well!


1-2 chicken breasts
1 Tbs vegetable oil
9 oz thin spaghetti pasta (whole grain, whole wheat or white)
3 green onions, chopped
1 c frozen peas
¾ c shredded carrots
¼ c fresh cilantro, chopped
½ cup salted peanuts
2 tsp minced fresh ginger, or 1 tsp powdered ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ c light soy sauce
¼ c rice vinegar
2 tsp sesame oil
2 Tbs fresh lime juice, or 1 Tbs lime juice from bottle
½ tsp pepper

Add pasta to a pot of boiling water and cook until al dente, then drain and set aside. Cut chicken breasts into cubes the saute with 1 Tbs vegetable oil in a large wok or skillet until cooked through. Add ginger, garlic, peas carrots and peanuts and cook for an additional 1-2 min. Mix soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, lime juice and pepper together in a separate bowl. Pour into skillet with the chicken then add the cooked pasta, green onions and cilantro, then stir fry until heated through and mixed evenly.

*I left out the chicken this time and just went for a vegetarian dish

*Source: Cooking Light Magazine

 

No comments: