Sunday, October 5, 2014

Peanut Butter Granola

My morning breakfast used to consist of greek yogurt, Special K granola, some sort of fruit and a side of facebook. I still check for crucial social networking updates while eating breakfast, but my Special K which come to find out isn't really all that special has been replaced with the homemade version. They do have muesli here (not granola. If you ask for granola they look at you like you're speaking greek. I love hearing Maddox ask for muesli bars or correct me when I call it a jacket and not a jersey or snack time instead of tea time, and I especially like when he uses kiwi phrases, like "I'll come straightaway". Still working on the accent, though). As I was saying...they have muesli but it's expensive and I figured now was as good of a time as ever to put to use all 32 homemade granola pins taking up space on my pinterest board. Here's a combination of about 12 of them.


8 Cups whole grain oats
2 cups of rice krispies (or "rice bubbles" as the kiwis affectionately call them)
1 cup wheat bran
1 cup ground flax meal (they don't have this so I use ground linseed, but anything along those lines would work)
1/2 Tbs cinnamon
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
½ cup peanut butter
1/2 cup applesauce (I didn't realize that applesauce wasn't an international language, instead I use mashed bananas)
1 tbsp vanilla

Throw all dry ingredients in a bowl. Combine remaining ingredients and cook over medium heat until just starting to boil. Pour over dry ingredients and stir well to incorporate all dry ingredients. Cook at 250 for 40-60 min. Serve over yogurt, with milk or plain by the handfuls. I especially like tossing in some pretzels, nuts, dried fruit, chocolate chips, etc for a trail mix to take with us when we go hiking. *just so you know, I had to stop mid typing to go and make a batch because just talking about it made me crave it. It's that good.

No comments: