Sunday, August 30, 2009

Tortilla Stacks

This is another favorite that my friend Jenny posted a while ago, but I thought I would add a picture to tantalize your tastebuds. I did make a few changes for my family...we like it with refried beans, cilantro, olives, avacodo and sour cream. Also, my kids think the el pato is too hot, so instead of the el pato and tomato sauce, we just use enchilada sauce. Oh, and I cook the hamburger with a little taco seasoning. That's the beauty of this recipe, you can throw together all your favorites and never go wrong! (it's a little tricky to eat, just slice it up like a pizza) Thanks, Jenny!

This is a family recipe that has been around for years. It is definetly a favorite!

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
pinch of pepper
1 small can El Pato sauce
1/2 head of lettuce
1 bunch green onions 2 tomatoes
2 cans (14.5 ounce) tomato sauce
1/2 lb. cheddar cheese
10 (6 inch) white or yellow corn tortillas

Brown ground beef well, season with garlic salt and pepper. Chop lettuce, onions, chop tomatoes and shred cheese. Combine tomato sauce and El Pato in sauce pan over medium to low heat. In small frying pan over medium-high heat pour vegetable oil. When hot cook tortillas 5 seconds on each side. Drain them on paper towels. Build stacks by starting with the tortilla, and then adding desired ingredients. Typically: meat, cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, and onions. Alternate tortillas and ingredients until complete to your liking a number of stacks. Ladle sauce over it and sprinkle with cheese. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

foreveryoung said...

These are so yummy and easy! I found that the el Pato sauce was too hot for my kids, so I use mild enchilada sauce instead and it tastes great too.

kemptons said...

So glad you like these Jamie! It is certainly one of our favorites. I am going to have to try your variations. They sound tasty!