Saturday, December 13, 2014

Lime Chicken Burrito Bowl

Burrito bowls have sorta taken the world by storm lately, or at least pinterest. My husband first got hooked on the burrito bowls at Chipotle, but I just couldn't fathom a meal there without those delicious tortillas. I finally gave it a try and I've never looked back. So filling, so flavorful and so much healthier too. This is one version I've come up with using my favorite lime chicken and cilantro lime rice, I may be a little partial, but I think it's pretty dang tasty.


For the chicken:
2 boneless chicken breast
1/8 cup red wine vinegar
 Juice from 1 large lime
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
3 Tbs chopped cilantro

Add all ingredients to crock pot and cook on low 4-5 hrs, shred meat then cook an additional hour.

For the rice:
1 ½ C rice
2 C chicken broth
1 Tbs butter
2 small limes
Lime zest from one lime
½ C chopped cilantro leaves
1 tsp salt
*As an healthier option you can substitute the lime rice with cooked brown rice

Sauté rice in butter for 2-3 min, add broth, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 min. Fluff cooked rice with fork. Add lime juice, zest, cilantro and salt and stir well.

Toppings:
Guacamole
Sour cream mixed with a little taco seasoning (about 1 Tbs taco seasoning per 1/2 cup of sour cream)
Salsa
Black beans
Corn
Shredded lettuce
Tomatoes, diced
Shredded cheese

Put rice in individual serving bowls then add toppings.

 

No comments: