Monday, November 10, 2014

No Bake Granola Bites

I'm always on the hunt for new snacks to mix up the after school scene. I know I've found a winner when it's 1) easy to make 2) healthy 3) kid approved. This one sure fits the bill. The funny part was that my one particularly picky eater has a no oatmeal policy. He refused to even try them but I finally made him take just one bite (I'm sure there was a bribe involved). He wasn't quite ready to swallow his pride, so with a little eye roll he's like, "fiiiine, I guess I'll have one. Or two. Or maybe three". He ate five. If that doesn't sell you, I don't know what will.


½ cup almond butter
⅓ cup honey
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 cup old-fashioned oats
½ cup Rice Krispies cereal
½ cup mini chocolate chips
½ cup golden raisins
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed meal
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of salt
*if you're a kiwi cook, I have yet to find almond butter and coconut oil, so substitute with peanut butter and canola oil

Add almond butter, honey and coconut oil to a microwavable bowl and heat for 30 seconds. Stir. Allow to cool slightly. Combine oats through salt together in a large bowl. Gently stir in almond butter mixture being careful not to crush the Rice Krispies. When thoroughly combined, place in refrigerator for 30-45 minutes or until chilled enough to handle. Roll oat mixture into approximately 20 small balls. Store in the refrigerator.

*Source: I found this somewhere on pinterest, but I can't seem to find the link, sorry!

 

No comments: