Friday, October 17, 2014

Copy Cat Rice-A-Roni Rice Pilaf

America is land of the free and home of the cheap and convenient. I used to have my pantry stock piled with Rice-A-Roni, Pasta Roni, Mac & Cheese, Ramen noodles, and all things highly processed. Moving here has really opened my eyes to the world of cooking from scratch and I am definitely better for it. I'm pretty predictable with my side dishes. Salad and bread for pasta dishes, rice, chips and salsa when it comes to Mexican dishes. And considering that I crave Mexican food about every other day, it was vital that I have a good rice dish in my recipe file. I have absolutely fallen in love with this rice pilaf recipe. It's just as quick and easy as opening a box of Rice-A-Roni, but has such a light and fresh flavor, not drowning in sodium and preservatives. It pairs perfectly with pork roast or fish as well.



2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup orzo pasta
½ tsp salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup uncooked white rice
2 cups chicken broth

Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Cook and stir orzo pasta until golden brown. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute. Mix in the rice, salt and chicken broth. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender, and the liquid has been absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.

*source: allrecipes.com

 

No comments: