Thursday, October 16, 2014

Tomato Bisque soup (aka:THE BEST SOUP I'VE EVER TASTED!)



Grilled cheese and tomato soup is the ultimate in comfort food. It is my love language. Next to chocolate covered cinnamon bears, logically. When my oldest was just a baby, my best friend and I would discuss sleep training and the woes of breastfeeding over a can of Campbell's tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich. Our babies have grown and so have our taste buds. It was time for a more sophisticated version of my favorite food. My good friend passed along this tomato bisque soup recipe that she got from her friend's mom who is a wedding caterer. And oh.my.gosh.mind.officially.blown. I especially love making this for other people because after their first bite their eyes always get big as they exclaim, "oh my gosh, this SOUP!" Of all my recipes, this is by far the one that I have passed along the most. It is a definite keeper and guaranteed to get rave reviews!

6 T butter, divided
2 garlic cloves minced
1 1/2 t dill weed
1 t oregano
1 t basil
5 c canned crushed tomatoes
1 (6 oz can) tomato paste
4 c chicken stock or broth (2 cans)
2 T flour
2 t salt
1/2 t white pepper
4 t honey
1 1/4 c heavy cream
2/3 c half and half

In a large pot, melt 4 T butter. Saute garlic, and herbs on medium low for about 1-2 minutes, until garlic is lightly browned. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, and chicken stock and heat to simmer. In a separate small saucepan, make a roux with the flour and remaining 2 T butter, whisking constantly over medium heat for 3 minutes, without browning. Add roux to soup, whisking to blend. Add salt and pepper. Bring to a boil to thicken, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes. Add honey, cream, and half and half. And most definitely serve with a sour dough grilled cheese sandwich! (soften butter, add some paremsan, basil and garlic salt then spread on the outside of the bread before grilling for added flavor).

*the best part is that it makes a ton so divide it into ziploc bags and stick them in the freezer, then pull one out and reheat for a quick meal



*source: a mom of a friend of a friend :)

 

3 comments:

Cammi said...

You guys are really pulling through for me. I recently had tomato bisque soup at a hotel restaurant in Boulder, Colorado. It was SO good and I knew I had to get a recipe for it. I ate it every chance I got while we were there. They served it with a mini ham and cheese panini and small salad. Heaven! Thank you so much. I can't wait to try it!

foreveryoung said...

I am so putting this on next weeks menu (WITH my sourdough grilled cheese sandwich :). And just for you, I won't even leave out the onion.

Cammi said...

OK, I tried it. This was really good! My husband and I both loved it. And the best part of all is that it makes a ton, so I will be following your suggestion and freezing it so I can have it for quick lunches. Thanks!